Pages

Monday, April 21, 2008


Today we were talking about weird phobias...KC has serious issues with people licking dry towels, others have issues with crumpled paper, some of ye out there can't stand pigeons, goats, cats, toe-nails, the sound of marker pens on paper!!! Me, on the other hand have no weird afflictions...but if you ever come towards me weilding a roll of sellotape ready to peel *goose pimples* i will either lodge it in an orifice or jump through the nearest exit doesn't matter what floor i'm on...aaaarrghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Thankfully we are not alone ...check this weirdo out...

STUDENT Gillian Linkins suffers one of the world’s most bizarre phobias – a fear of BUTTONS.
Gillian, 22, can’t even stand to be in the same room as friends and family who wear them.
She first realised her fear aged seven, when she refused to put on her school blouse.
The sight of buttons sends Gillian into panic attacks and boyfriend Nate Dorrington, 23, can only wear clothes with zips.
She said: “I’ve had the fear as long as I remember. My mum says I freaked out when it was time to get dressed.
“I have always been fearful of buttons, especially when they are grouped together.
For me touching a button would be like touching a cockroach. It feels dirty, nasty and wrong. When I was younger my brother used to tease me by opening my mum’s button tin. I hid in my bedroom until he put them away.

“My cousin was wearing a button necklace one day and in the end she had to take it off.I could not stand being in the same room as her.”

She added: “Some people don’t believe me and I try to joke about it. I’ve tried things like self-help tapes and hypnotism but nothing has worked.

Watching the children’s TV show Button Moon is like being made to watch a horror movie. People just think I’m weird.”

But Gillian’s not alone. Her phobia – officially named Koumpounophobia – affects one in 75,000 people. A spokesman for The National Phobics Society said: “The phobia often affects children and the problem can persist into adulthood.

Here are TEN genuine phobias...

ARACHIBUTYROPHOBIA - fear of peanut butter sticking to the roof of the mouth.

DEXTROPHOBIA - fear of objects at the right side of the body.

HIPPOPOTOMONSTROSESQUIPPEDALIO-PHOBIA - fear of long words.(something tells me this is horseshit...don't know what gave me that idea)

AULOPHOBIA - fear of flutes. (could be the result of watching American Pie)

DOXOPHOBIA - fear of expressing opinions. (any member of Fianna Fail)

CLINOPHOBIA - fear of going to bed. (anyone under the age of 14 has at one point suffere from this .. also known as SCHOOLIPHOBIA)

SOCERAPHOBIA - fear of parents-in-law. (speaks for itself)

SYMMETROPHOBIA - fear of symmetry. (when two women wear same dress on night out...ouch!)

OPTOPHOBIA - fear of opening your eyes. (also known as sleeping)

LITICAPHOBIA - fear of lawsuits. (usually ok around a shirt & tie though)

No comments: